Christopher Mathews is a shareholder in Lionel Sawyer & Collins' Litigation Department. Mr. Mathews has represented clients in state and federal district courts, appellate courts, military courts, and arbitration proceedings in Nevada and throughout the world. He has been lead counsel in over 150 cases tried to verdict, with clients including major gaming companies, technology firms, financial institutions, government agencies, and private individuals.
Prior to joining the Firm, Mr. Mathews served a distinguished career in the United States Air Force. He was an Intelligence Officer assigned to the analysis of Soviet and Warsaw Pact weapons systems prior to the end of the Cold War, and was later selected to attend law school at Georgetown University. After receiving his law degree, he served as a member of the Air Force Judge Advocate General (JAG) Corps. He was a regional prosecutor based in Texas and later served as the Air Force's chief prosecutor in the Pacific theatre. He was a judge on the Air Force Court of Criminal Appeals, completing his tour of duty there as a Senior Judge of that court.
Mr. Mathews also served as a trial attorney defending the Department of the Air Force before the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals in construction, services, and systems acquisition cases throughout the western United States. He later was the chief agency counsel for the Department of Defense in the Tri-Service Standoff Attack Missile litigation, a classified $1.3 billion contract dispute in federal court. He joined Lionel Sawyer & Collins and became a member of the Nevada Bar upon his retirement from the military in 2007.
- United States v. Maxwell, 45 M.J. 406 (C.A.A.F. 1996)
- Northrop Grumman Corporation, Military Aircraft Division v. United States, 63 Fed. Cl. 38 (Ct. Fed. Cl. 2004)
- United States v. Carr, 63 M.J. 615 (A.F. Ct. Crim. App. 2006)
- Member, State Bar of Nevada
- Adjunct Faculty, U.S. Department of Justice National Advocacy Center, 2006
- Adjunct Faculty, U.S. Air Force Judge Advocate General's School, 2002-2006
- Contributor, CAAFlog (2008 Honoree of the ABA Journal's "Blawg 100" list of top legal sites on the web)
- Board of Advisors, National Institute of Military Justice, 2010-present
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., cum laude, 1988
- Arizona State University, B.S., cum laude, 1982
- State Bar of Nevada
- State Bar of California*
- Pennsylvania Bar*